How to choose a tablet?
- Diagonal up to 7 inches- the most portable tablets, it is recommended to use for reading books, browsing the Internet, photos.
- Diagonal 7-10 inches are the most popular models, due to the size of the screen they are more convenient for watching movies, Internet sites, and are also suitable for working with office programs and computer games. Less compact, however, quite comfortable on the road.
- Resistive - outdated touch screens, responsive to any touch, both fingers and hard objects. Today they are practically not produced.
- Capacitive - designed to be touched with a finger or a special stylus. Supports multitouch technology - the ability of the device to respond to the simultaneous pressing of two dots on the screen. All actions that can be performed are intuitive to the user. For example, sliding two fingers on an image will reduce its size, rotate two fingers to rotate the image, and so on. The optimally supported number of simultaneous presses today is 5.
The higher the resolution, the more detailed the image will be. Today, for comfortable viewing of high quality movies, websites and other tasks, for tablets with a diagonal of 7 inches, it is desirable to have a resolution of 1280x800 pixels (preferably 1920x1080 Full HD), for diagonals of 8-10 inches - the optimal resolution of 1920x1080. Many expensive tablets use Retina displays with a resolution of 2048x1536 (for example, Apple products).
In most models, the aspect ratio is 4: 3 - great for browsing sites or reading books.
Widescreen screens in tablets have an aspect ratio of 16: 9 or 16:10, which allows you to comfortably watch modern movies without black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
PPI (Pixels per inch) - a characteristic of image quality on the tablet screen. Indicates the number of pixels per inch of screen. The higher this setting, the fewer pixels, respectively - the better the picture.
The excellent value of PPI today is 250-300 and more. At about these values, the pixels on the smartphone screen are indistinct.
Important: It should be noted that PPI is not a mandatory parameter specified by the manufacturer. This is a computational characteristic. You can find out by formula or with the help of special calculators on the Internet.
- Android is the most popular OS, the interface of which is designed for the most convenient use of the tablet's touch screen. Many programs have been developed for this operating system, which can be downloaded for free from the tablet. Especially popular Google applications: mail, Google Maps, Google+ and others. You can connect your Android tablet to your computer like a regular flash drive.
- iOS is also a convenient and easy-to-use OS for touch screen control, but is only used in tablets manufactured by Apple. Most applications for this OS are paid, you can also download them from your tablet. To connect such a device to a PC, you must install iTunes.
- Windows 7/8 - it is also possible to install this OS not only on personal computers, but also on tablets. It is more demanding to the configuration of the tablet, so it should be chosen only if you want to solve some tasks that Anodroid and iOS will not cope with. Allows you to connect the device to a computer as a regular removable disk or flash drive. Today, some tablets have an update to Windows 10, and some models are already sold with it.
Advanced operating systems are Android and iOS - they are the least demanding on the "stuffing" of tablets. New versions of the OS are constantly being released, which correct the shortcomings of the previous ones, and many applications are being developed.
Processor and memory
The choice of processor and amount of RAM largely depends on the operating system supported by the tablet:
- iOS - the minimum processor frequency is 1 GHz and the recommended amount of memory is 1 GB.
- Android - requires a dual or quad-core processor, 2 GB of memory is recommended for stable operation;
- Windows - requirements are much higher - 1.3 GHz processor and 2 GB of memory.
The higher the CPU frequency, the higher the speed of the tablet. Choosing a more powerful processor expands the range of operations that you can perform, such as watching high-definition movies or playing modern games.
When choosing the amount of RAM, keep in mind that not all applications will be available for additional applications, because some will always be occupied by the operating system.
The most popular processor families (chipsets with integrated processor) for tablets: Intel Atom, Cortex, Apple, Nvidia Tegra and others.